Saturday, September 15, 2012

Life interrupted

Maybe it's a carryover from school but I've always finished reading a book that I start, no matter how much I am not enjoying it. It just seemed like a matter of principle to me.

And I would only read one book at a time and refused to start a new one until I was finished the old one (which,as I just pointed out, I would finish, no matter what).

So it's rather a mystery to me how and why I have 7 books on my night table, all at various levels of completion. One them is actually one chapter from being completed and yet there it sits.

I've typically stayed away from non-fiction, but now I'm actively seeking good reads in this genre - particularly topics that I feel might help me in HR. At the same time, I'm trying to remain loyal to the authors that I have always enjoyed.  It's as if I feel like I'm at risk of missing something

So I decided to finish all my books in progress, one at a time. Last night, I picked up the one on the top of the pile and started reading and quickly realized that I can barely remember what happened in the first few chapters.

And that pretty much sums up my life these days.

I have my fingers in everything, I start one thing, only to jump to another. I don't profess to be multi-tasking...it feels more like juggling. My focus is fragmented at best...and I find myself signing on for more and more...volunteering, projects, etc...

While it's a bit of a rush to feel more involved, there is also a nagging feeling in the back of mind that I'm dangerously close to letting something slip.

And the problem is that life is not like reading a book.  I can't just go back and re-read a few chapters or even start from the beginning again.  It's something that I need to pay attention to as it's happening.






No comments: